The cold morning air brings a surreal mist to the waters of Lake Hartwell.
Located at the corner of SC Hwy 14 and Berry mill Road in Greer, SC sits Berry’s Mill. This site has been prominently known in the area for over 200 years.
Located on busy Pelham Rd. just off Interstate 85, this is the grave site of early settler Samuel Walker and his family. Samuel Walker was born 7 Sep 1750 in County Down Ireland and died 19 Sep 1826 in Greenville, S.C. his wife Phoebe Green was born 13 Dec 1750 and died 18 June 1829 in Greenville, S.C. The upstate area has many old family cemeteries that have remained in place despite massive development around them. This site has survived the retail development on Pelham Rd unscathed. The Wells Fargo adjacent to the cemetery now owns the property.
This is the old Carousel building on Main St. In Greer, SC. The building has housed many different businesses over the years. It has been among other things a grocery store, a laundromat, a wedding dress boutique, an antique store and chiropractic office. Its certainly hard to miss the sign.
This is all that remains of an old home on Gary Armstrong Rd. in Greer, SC. Like many old houses the Chimney is the last thing standing.
Located in Oconee county SC just outside of the city of Wallhalla, Stumphouse tunnel is a testament to 19th century ingenuity. Started in 1856 the tunnel was proposed as a faster route from Charleston, SC to the Ohio river valley, a trip which at the time required navigating around the entire mountain range.
Located in Laurens county SC just south of Hickory Tavern, Boyd’s Mill Pond is a spot that is well known to local fisherman for producing excellent catfish and largemouth bass. The “pond” which for its size would more likely be classifed by most observers as a lake was created in 1907. In that year the former Reedy River Power company built a dam which impounded the Reedy and created the current 184 acre lake. A powerhouse was likewise built to harness the water captured by the dam to generate electricity for Laurens county residents. Prior to the creation of the dam this section of the Reedy had already been utilized to power a grist mill and saw mill since the early 1800’s.